Weather and Engine Tuning Articles
Check out some of our articles on weather and engine tuning. Some of these are blog posts and some are articles we've written for various publications.
Articles about the information on this site
- Quickly access your track from your phone's home screen - Access weather for the tracks you visit from your phone's home screen using these instructions. Get quick access with this one-touch option.
- Measuring Racetrack Atmosphere - This article explains the basics of weather and then further explains each of the variables given on each of our track's weather pages.
- Historical weather data - We get a lot of questions about this so we wrote a blog post. Recently we started offering air density and density altitude for past dates on this site. This article shows how.
Articles that have appeared on AirDensityOnline.com. These are all relatively brief and feature good starter information.
- Why air density is important in engine tuning
- Understanding the difference between corrected and uncorrected barometer
- Reading the weather report: when is it about to rain
- Why is it hottest a couple hours after noon
- Weather changes before and after dark
- Air density and water vapor
- Water vapor and horsepower
Articles that have appeared on Racingjunk.com:
- Analyzing Track Conditions Between Seasons - March 2021
- Racing Fundamentals with Air Density Tuning - We discuss weather factors that influence different types of racing including drag racing, land speed, and sprint racing.
- Air Density Tuning Elite 16 ProMods Drag Racing @ Texas Motorplex Nov. 1-3, 2018 In this article we analyze the weather factors likely to be in place at this event and discuss the tuning considerations necessary based on that weather.
- Air Density Tuning at MLRA Lucas Oil Speedway Oval Track, April 12-13, 2019 presented by RacingJunk.comThis article is similar to the previous one but we analyze tuning considerations for weather at a sprint event on a circle track.
- Air Density Tuning for MWPMS ProMod Drag Race Cars at the Texas Motorplex’ Mello Yellow NHRA Fall NationalsThis is a follow up article to our first one where we analyze the weather from the same event over several previous years.
- Elevation and Atmospheric Factors in Motorsports Performance We wanted to give some pointers for tuning with weather and elevation for racers who are stuck at home during the quarantine.
Articles that have appeared on EngineLabs.com:
- Explaining The Effects of Weather on Mechanical Fuel Injection - This article discusses how weather variables affect engine tuning.
- Elevation Changes and How They Affect Engine Tuning - This article discusses how elevation changes affect engine tuning.
Engine tuning articles
Articles that have appeared on AirDensityOnline.com. These are brief articles with good introductory information to give you a good start using this site. For more detailed information, see the other articles listed on this page.
- Using Air/Fuel Ratio
- Tuning with methanol vs. nitro - a brief article about the differences between tuning with methanol and tuning with nitromethane
- Setting Up A New Fuel Injection System
- Engine Tuning Using The Main Bypass
- Key elements to engine tuning
- Optimum Air/Fuel Ratio in drag racing
- Is Ignition Timing the First Thing to Dial In?
- How important are data logging tools?
- How does a racer select the best fuel?
- Is it still important to read spark plugs and what's the best method of doing so?
- What's the best way for a racer using a carburetor to optimize engine performance
- View full list of articles on RaceCarBook.com
Articles that have appeared in Enginelabs.com and/or Dragzine.com:
- Calculating Critical Air Scoop Speed With A Forward Facing Air Inlet
- Be Ready for Race Day by Reading the Weather
- Misunderstood Causes of Detonation in High Performance Applications
- Reading the Plugs: Spark Plug Tuning With Different Fuels
- High Speed Engine Tuning When Factoring In Ram Air
- Horsepower Correction, Power Management, And Science
- What You Need To Know About Mechanical Fuel Injection
- What You Need To Know: Mechanical Fuel Injection Types and More
- Engine Tuning By The Numbers: Air/Fuel Ratio and Lambda
Articles that have appeared in Engine Builder Magazine:
- Fuel Mixtures for Drag Racing - October 2017
- Understanding Ignition Timing – August 2017
- Today’s Grassroots Drag Racing Market – January 2017
- The Fuel Injection Phenomenon – What Normally (Naturally) Aspirated Engine Builders Need to Know – December 2016
- Understanding the Basics of Your Business - Taxes - January 2018
Information about this site
If you would like to learn about the development of this website, read the FAQ about this site.
If you would like to get more information about the books and information available on our partner site, visit RaceCarBook.com.